SubjectRe: devfs
  Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:29:59 -0500 (EST)
From: linux kernel account <linker@nightshade.z.ml.org>

Why dont we number Scsi cards in isa slots 0-3 (lowest memory address
first) (I guess vlb and eisa count as isa) and then number pci devices up
(first controler slot 1 slot 2 ... bridge slot 1 slot 2 ... bridge..
Second controler ....)..

Then when putting a card in a slot you would have a fare idea of where it
will be and adding another card to the system wont move things around..

On large systems encoding the location of the host adapter makes good sense.
However, most Linux systems have at most one or two host adapters, and encoding
the slot information means that device names will change when the user moves
the single SCSI card to a different slot. This is definitely a bad thing.
We need to bias decisions toward the simpler systems since installations with
multiple host adapters are more likely to understand the deeper issues.

Even if we ere to adopt this type of naming scheme, almost certainly PCI host
adapters would want to come first, EISA or VLB second, and ISA last. Priority
should be given to the higher performance interfaces as they are more likely to
be where the most important devices are.

Leonard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.129 / U:0.220 seconds]