SubjectSCSI naming scheme: I've almost decided
Gadi Oxman writes:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Jauder Ho wrote:
>
> > how about /dev/dsk/h0c0t0u0p2? lose the sd_. it doesn't buy you anything.
> > ide drives are done differently anyways.
>
> Not necessarily. h0c0t0u0p2 sound like a good naming scheme for IDE
> devices as well:
>
> - We support several IDE interfaces (h).
>
> - Often there are several IDE chipsets in a system, each chipset
> supporting different features and two IDE interfaces -- the chipset
> can be named using (h), and the primary/secondary channel using (c).
>
> - Each IDE interface supports two devices (u).
>
> - Although not currently supported by the Linux IDE driver, new
> ATAPI devices (which are mostly SCSI devices in disguise) do
> support the LUN concept (u).
>
> For example, ATAPI PD-CD drives are currently supported by Linux
> using the SCSI sub-system and ide-scsi driver, but we lack native
> IDE support (and device numbers) for ATAPI logical units.
>
> - Partitions (p).

Yep, I'm inclined to agree. I think I've decided on the SCSI disc
naming scheme:
/dev/dsk/sd_h0c0t0u0p2

The "dsk" is compatible with Solaris, IRIX and HP-UX. The "sd" is
needed because /dev/dsk is going to have non-SCSI discs (IDE, floppy,
MD and so on).

Also, I'm inclined to put CD-ROM in /dev/dsk too. After all, it's a
compact *disc*, and is a FS-mountable device like all the others.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.136 / U:0.040 seconds]