    SubjectBliss Virus (fwd)

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:29:53 -0700 (MST)
    From: Joel Maslak <>
    To: Linux -- Donald Lewis <>,
    Linda Bowe <>,
    Lyla Downey <>,
    Oguz Yetkin <>, Rob Lowrance <>,
    Seth Edwards <>,
    Sarah Sandman <>, Marvin Davies <>,
    Subject: Bliss Virus

    The Bliss virus is currently a Linux binary-infecting virus.
    Unfortunately, please do not feel your safe.

    The author has stated that his code runs "fine" on Sun Solaris and SunOS,
    as he used little Linux specific code. I don't know if the source code
    for this is available, although I do know that it is being dis-assembled
    as we speak.

    I might also add that I tested it on FreeBSD, running an infected Linux
    binary via Linux emulation. This test proved that even the Linux strain
    can infect FreeBSD machines with emulation.

    One final note:
    I discovered accidentally (on my test network) that this virus
    will send itself OVER THE NETWORK. It works with trust relationships in a
    simular way to how the Internet Worm of almost ten years ago (doesn't it
    feal like yesterday?). Thus a virus like this will simply reinfect a
    machine (via the network) when it is cleaned. This is much more serious
    than simple PC viruses which require you to clean floppies.

    Apparently, it scans /etc/hosts.equiv. If it finds hosts which
    the local site treats as equivilant, it tries them, in hopes that they
    consider the local host equivilant. It will infect via scp (secure shell
    copy) if possible, as well as standard methods (rcp). Be very careful if
    you test this.

    Seeing the possibilities of a virus such as this distributed in
    binary form is distressing to me. It would be possible to, once a machine
    is infected, WITHOUT THE USER'S CONCENT, to use a system to capture
    passwords (Ethernet Sniffing, anyone?). Once the passwords are captured,
    attempt to infect the remote machine. I would bet that within days, a
    virus that did the above could render the Internet unusuable, as the
    Internet worm did. The only "difficult" part would be to distribute a
    script along with it which selected between Solaris, SunOS, AIX, A/UX,
    Linux, FreeBSD, OSF/1, and AT&T "strains", and then run the appropriate
    executable. In such an attack, the kernel may not even be safe.

    Thus, I'm recommending that you re-examine trust relationships
    between Unix hosts (and other operating systems for that matter. NT *IS*
    POSIX compatible, which means it is capable of running many Unix
    packages). Also, consider using switching hubs and/or smart hubs in
    "secure" mode. (there is usually a mode to scramble all packets not going
    to the remote MAC address). I also recommend firewalls, and routine
    backups/compares (WITH WRITE PROTECTED TAPES!). While you are at it, make
    sure you are running new sendmail.

    Joel Maslak

    Caution: When copying and pasting text, work with only a few lines
    at a time. If you copy too many lines, you may trigger a bug in the
    system, and your window will become unstable.
    Pg. 129, "A Practical Guide to the Unix System"

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:6.928 seconds]