    SubjectRe: Bliss Virus (fwd)
    On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, James L. McGill wrote:

    > On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Seth Edwards wrote:
    >
    > >The Bliss virus is currently a Linux binary-infecting virus.
    > >Unfortunately, please do not feel your safe.
    >
    > So could somebody credible please comment officially on this
    > topic. I have to assume this is a hoax given the inflammatory
    > nature of the message and the numerous spelling and grammar
    > errors. Can we get CERT (LERT?) to try this "virus" code,
    > so that if it turns out to be legitimate, proper warnings can
    > be disseminated through the proper (credible) channels?
    > Forgive me if I have jumped in at the heat of the moment,
    > not knowing whether this was heard through reliable sources.
    >
    > If asked, will the poster of this message provide virus code
    > to the members of this list? I expect this virus to suddenly,
    > mysteriously disappear, based on that question.

    There is a virus scanner that has been distributed by McAfee.
    There isn't any harm, I believe, in getting the virus scanner and checking
    your system. The fact that McAfee has sent out a press release about it
    and created this software tends to add some credibility.
    (http://www.mcafee.com, I believe has the press release and software).
    It is very possible that this is a hoax, but do you think that it
    is a good idea to treat it as a hoax until it is *PROVEN* to be a hoax?

    -Seth

    |"We pray for one last landing, | Seth M. Landsman |
    | On the globe that gave us birth. | Dept. of Computer Science |
    | Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies,| Brandeis University |
    | And the cool, Green Hills of Earth" | |
    | -Green Hills of Earth | "I'm in ninteenth grade!" |
    | RAH | |
    | "Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity" |
    | "Someday I want an office with walls" |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:0.320 seconds]