    SubjectA couple "normal user" questions..
    Questions and ponderings:

    I'm sure there is a reason for this being done, but I'm curious to what the
    explanation is to these "quirks":

    /proc/sys/net
    /proc/net

    It seems that maybe those two should be combined for consistancy.. I notice
    that /proc/net seems more "statistics" and /proc/sys/net is more "tunable"
    features. Is that the intent?

    ip_forwarding is turned 'off' as default.. if you configure in 'IP_FORWARDING',
    shouldn't this probably be turned 'on' as default?

    /proc/interrupts
    Any chance of Paul's patch to make 'unattached' interrupts say (not in use)
    instead of not showing up. Does this break too many already existing programs?
    [I noticed 'procinfo' didn't like it, but it was a quick hack away from doing
    the right thing]

    /proc/ksyms
    The current state that this file is, it is basically useless as far as I can
    see. It doesn't contain all the references that System.map has. Was the
    original intent to be able to not keep around a System.map file and have it
    merely as a sym. link to /proc/ksyms?

    I think the next suggestion won't go over too well, but please hear me out on
    this one. :)

    RFC:

    /proc/config

    This would be simply the .config that was used in compilation of the kernel.
    I'm sure a lot of people have kernels lying around and they don't know what
    they compiled into it, and didn't keep the related .config around either. The
    reason I think it should be a /proc option is that it would be an easy reminder
    and a small portion of code.

    That way.. for newbies to kernels, a userland program could parse /proc/config
    and tell them exactly what is configured into the kernel.

    --
    Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    "Nobody knows I'm a lesbian." -- seen on a guy's shirt

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.636 seconds]