SubjectRe: A couple "normal user" questions..
On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Hugo Van den Berg wrote:

> > That way.. for newbies to kernels, a userland program could parse /proc/config
> > and tell them exactly what is configured into the kernel.
>
> Not only that, but if you get a kernel from somewhere else (mostly in
> distributions) you can see what's in and what isn't. I think it's a good
> idea. It could be made optional.

Most any reasonable linux platform can compile a new kernel in no
time...and generally, you're better off doing so rather than using a RAM
wasting kitchen sink kernel from some distribution.

My first Linux box did make zImage in about 3 hours...my latest has it
down to about 7 minutes. Either way, it's time well spent. At worst,
this should be a config option so people who know how to keep their config
files don't have to waste the RAM.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.066 / U:0.156 seconds]