    SubjectRe: Problem with sound driver in 2.0.0
    Todd Graham Lewis writes:
    > This has been raised before.
    > As I remember it, there is a problem with (certain?) sound cards and
    > (certain?) SCSI controllers. It relates to DMA usage by both of them
    > It only happens under doom, I think, because doom's sound access keeps
    > the DMA channel open long enough to coincide with SCSI events.

    Actually, I figured out that the problem I was having with my SCSI disk
    was related to queueing and not DMA. Since I set the tagged queue
    length to 1 in the BusLogic SCSI driver I haven't had any problems
    whatsoever with my SCSI disk, even under fairly heavy load and with the
    card's DMA transfer rate turned up to 8 Mbyte/s.

    On the other hand, the sound driver works (or fails to work) just as it
    did before in DOOM, and after some random amount of time (usually 5-15
    minutes of play) the sound stops and I get the "DMA (output) timed out -
    IRQ/DRQ conflict?" messsage although no such conflict exists on my
    system. I should also note that this happened when I had all IDE disks,
    and so far I haven't seen any noticeable difference in this behavior as
    a result of using SCSI instead of IDE.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.016 / U:23.376 seconds]