    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries
    On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:58:45AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > If Red Hat wants to deep-throat Microsoft, that's *your* issue. That
    > has nothing what-so-ever to do with the kernel I maintain. It's
    > trivial for you guys to have a signing machine that parses the PE
    > binary, verifies the signatures, and signs the resulting keys with
    > your own key. You already wrote the code, for chissake, it's in that
    > f*cking pull request.

    There's one significant practical awkwardness, which is that it makes
    key revocation a multi-step process - the blacklisted hash is going to
    be for the PE and not the key itself. I guess the original hash could be
    stuffed in some metadata in the key, but urgh.

    Vendors want to ship keys that have been signed by a trusted party.
    Right now the only one that fits the bill is Microsoft, because
    apparently the only thing vendors love more than shitty firmware is
    following Microsoft specs. The equivalent isn't just Red Hat (or anyone
    else) programmatically re-signing those keys, it's re-signing those keys
    with a key that's trusted by the upstream kernel. Would you be willing
    to carry a default trusted key if some sucker/upstanding and
    trustworthy member of society hosted a re-signing service? Or should we
    just assume that anyone who wants to ship external modules is a fucking
    idiot and deserves to be miserable?

    (I mean, *I'm* fine with the idea that they're fucking idiots and
    deserve to be miserable, but apparently there's people who think this is
    a vital part of a business model)

    --
    Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

      Last update: 2013-02-21 19:41    [W:0.029 / U:0.552 seconds]