SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 03:56:42PM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Arve Hj?nnev?g wrote:

> >>the proposal that I nade was not to use cgroups to freeze some processes and
> >>not others, but to use cgroups to decide to ignore some processes when
> >>deciding if the system is idle, stop everything or nothing. cgroups are just
> >>a way of easily grouping processes (and their children) into different
> >>groups.
> >
> >That does not avoid the dependency problem. A process may be waiting
> >on a resource that a process you ignore owns. I you ignore the process
> >that owns the resource and enter idle when it is ready to run (or
> >waiting on a timer), you are still effectively blocking the other
> >process.
>
> and if you don't have a wakelock the same thing will happen. If you
> expect the process to take a while you can set a timeout to wake up
> every 30 seconds or so and wait again, this would be enough to
> prevent you from going to sleep (or am I misunderstanding how long
> before you go into suspend without a wakelock set, see my other
> e-mail for the full question)

The difference between the Android scheme and your proposal is that the
Android scheme freezes -all- the processes, not just a subset of them.
Therefore, in the Android scheme, the case of one process attempting to
acquire a resource held by a frozen process. In contrast, any scheme
that attempts to freeze only a subset of the processes must somehow
either avoid or properly handle the situation where a frozen process is
holding a resource that a running process is trying to acquire.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2010-08-05 01:13    [W:0.523 / U:0.860 seconds]