SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
From
2010/8/4  <david@lang.hm>:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Arve Hj?nnev?g wrote:

>>> and if you don't have a wakelock the same thing will happen. If you
>>> expect
>>
>> Not the same thing. If you don't hold a wakelock the entire system
>> will suspend and when it wakes up it continues where it left off.
>> Timeout still have time left before they expire.
>
> in what I'm proposing, if the 'privilaged/trusted" processes are idle long
> enough the entire system will suspend, and when it wakes up everything will
> continue to process normally

If you are triggering a system suspend from idle (I assume all cpus
idle), you also have to consider when to resume. You cannot abort
suspend just because a cpu is not idle anymore, since suspend itself
will wake up threads.

>>> the process to take a while you can set a timeout to wake up every 30
>>> seconds or so and wait again, this would be enough to prevent you from
>>> going
>>
>> I don't think polling is an acceptable solution to this problem. You
>> user space code know needs to know what "idle" timeout you have
>> selected so it can choose a faster poll rate. When is it safe to stop
>> polling?
>
> I think the timeouts are of such an order of magnatude that the polling can
> be infrequent enough to not be a significant amount of load, but be faster
> than any timeout

How do you ever enter suspend in this system? Currently timers in the
kernel and trusted user space code causes a significant power draw and
you want insignificant timers to prevent suspend.

>>> to sleep (or am I misunderstanding how long before you go into suspend
>>> without a wakelock set, see my other e-mail for the full question)
>>>

>> We suspend as soon as no wakelocks are held. There is no delay.
>
> So, if I have a bookreader app that is not allowed to get the wakelock, and
> nothing else is running, the system will suspend immediatly after I click a
> button to go to the next page? it will not stay awake to give me a chance to
> read the page at all?
>
> how can any application run without wakelock privilages?

A wakelock is active when the screen is on.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg