SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
Date
On Thursday, August 05, 2010, david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> and if you don't have a wakelock the same thing will happen. If you
> >> expect the process to take a while you can set a timeout to wake up
> >> every 30 seconds or so and wait again, this would be enough to
> >> prevent you from going to sleep (or am I misunderstanding how long
> >> before you go into suspend without a wakelock set, see my other
> >> e-mail for the full question)
> >
> > The difference between the Android scheme and your proposal is that the
> > Android scheme freezes -all- the processes, not just a subset of them.
> > Therefore, in the Android scheme, the case of one process attempting to
> > acquire a resource held by a frozen process. In contrast, any scheme
> > that attempts to freeze only a subset of the processes must somehow
> > either avoid or properly handle the situation where a frozen process is
> > holding a resource that a running process is trying to acquire.
>
> My proposal would never freeze a subset of processes.
>
> what my proposal:
>
> only consider the activity of a subset of processes when deciding if we
> should suspend or not. If the decision is to suspend, freeze everything.

That alone doesn't allow you to handle the race Matthew was referring to
(ie. wakeup event happening right after you've decided to suspend).

A mechanism of making a decision alone is not sufficient, you also need a
mechanism to avoid races between wakeup events and suspend process.

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2010-08-05 01:37    [W:0.313 / U:0.884 seconds]