SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Joel Becker wrote:

> When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
> problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
> screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
> environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
> unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.

Ok, there seems to be a fair number of people who prefer .gz files for
whatever reason.

So I guess I'll stay with the current setup. It's only (somebody elses)
diskspace, after all.

Another option might be to stop generating the .bz2 files, of course.
Anybody who cares more about network bandwidth than CPU use (ie people who
would seem to prefer bz2) would be better off using git instead, which
packs things _way_ better, by virtue of being much more incremental.

But at that point, I'm not even involved any more, because that bz2
generation is entirely scripted at kernel.org.

Linus

  Last update: 2010-02-07 19:35    [W:0.131 / U:0.356 seconds]