SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But we've certainly fixed a few things, and it's been a week, so here's
> -rc7. I wish I could say that it's the last -rc, but I strongly doubt
> that, and we'll almost certainly have at least one more.

Oh, and I forgot to ask one thing I had intended to ask in the release
notes..

Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.

Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:

Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?

Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
requires the traditional .gz format..

Linus

  Last update: 2010-02-06 23:53    [W:0.111 / U:26.056 seconds]