SubjectRe: [patch] aio: remove aio-max-nr and instead use the memlock rlimit to limit the number of pages pinned for the aio completion ring
Jeff Moyer a écrit :
> Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Jeff Moyer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Believe it or not, I get numerous questions from customers about the
>>> suggested tuning value of aio-max-nr. aio-max-nr limits the total
>>> number of io events that can be reserved, system wide, for aio
>>> completions. Each time io_setup is called, a ring buffer is allocated
>>> that can hold nr_events I/O completions. That ring buffer is then
>>> mapped into the process' address space, and the pages are pinned in
>>> memory. So, the reason for this upper limit (I believe) is to keep a
>>> malicious user from pinning all of kernel memory. Now, this sounds like
>>> a much better job for the memlock rlimit to me, hence the following
>>> patch.
>>>
>> Is it not possible to get rid of the pinning entirely? Pinning
>> interferes with page migration which is important for NUMA, among
>> other issues.
>
> aio_complete is called from interrupt handlers, so can't block faulting
> in a page. Zach mentions there is a possibility of handing completions
> off to a kernel thread, with all of the performance worries and extra
> bookkeeping that go along with such a scheme (to help frame my concerns,
> I often get lambasted over .5% performance regressions).

This aio_completion from interrupt handlers keep us from using SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU
instead of call_rcu() for "struct file" freeing.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/17/364

I would love it we could get rid of this mess...