SubjectRe: [patch] aio: remove aio-max-nr and instead use the memlock rlimit to limit the number of pages pinned for the aio completion ring
Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Believe it or not, I get numerous questions from customers about the
> suggested tuning value of aio-max-nr. aio-max-nr limits the total
> number of io events that can be reserved, system wide, for aio
> completions. Each time io_setup is called, a ring buffer is allocated
> that can hold nr_events I/O completions. That ring buffer is then
> mapped into the process' address space, and the pages are pinned in
> memory. So, the reason for this upper limit (I believe) is to keep a
> malicious user from pinning all of kernel memory. Now, this sounds like
> a much better job for the memlock rlimit to me, hence the following
> patch.

Is it not possible to get rid of the pinning entirely? Pinning
interferes with page migration which is important for NUMA, among other
issues.

  Last update: 2009-03-09 17:21    [W:0.111 / U:7.624 seconds]