    SubjectRE: boot hangs with SMP, USB storage, and ACPI
    On 12 Lip 2006, 00:41, Eric Cooper <> wrote:
    > When I try toboota 2.6.17 kernel compiled forSMP(hyperthreading),
    > it hangs early in thebootsequence (after printing "FreeingSMP
    > alternatives"). The issue seems to be an interaction between a
    > USB-storage device (an empty flash card reader built into the
    > monitor) andACPI.
    > It boots fine if I do any one of these:
    > - physically disconnect theUSBdevice
    > - disableUSBsupport in the BIOS
    > -bootwithacpi=ht
    > but none of these is completely satisfactory.
    > I'll happily supply more details, run tests, etc. if anyone is
    > interested in looking at this. Thanks, and please CC me if you
    > respond.
    > --
    > Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

    I have exactly the same problem
    This happens whenever i boot machine with reader on
    or usbstick plugged in.
    It happens with newer kernels as well.
    It is little bit annoying to reset machine just because i forgot
    to switch off the printer which has card reader equipped ;)
    some goofing with printks suggests ACPI as a place whenre it freezes.
    But i got no proof for that.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

      Last update: 2007-09-12 15:03    [W:0.022 / U:8.904 seconds]