    SubjectRe: boot hangs with SMP, USB storage, and ACPI

    (cc restored. Please always do reply-to-all)

    (linux-acpi cc added)

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:00:41 +0200 "tx tox" <t0mc4t1@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On 12 Lip 2006, 00:41, Eric Cooper <e...@cmu.edu> wrote:
    > > When I try toboota 2.6.17 kernel compiled forSMP(hyperthreading),
    > > it hangs early in thebootsequence (after printing "FreeingSMP
    > > alternatives"). The issue seems to be an interaction between a
    > > USB-storage device (an empty flash card reader built into the
    > > monitor) andACPI.
    > >
    > > It boots fine if I do any one of these:
    > > - physically disconnect theUSBdevice
    > > - disableUSBsupport in the BIOS
    > > -bootwithacpi=ht
    > > but none of these is completely satisfactory.
    > >
    > > I'll happily supply more details, run tests, etc. if anyone is
    > > interested in looking at this. Thanks, and please CC me if you
    > > respond.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u
    >

    > I have exactly the same problem
    > This happens whenever i boot machine with reader on
    > or usbstick plugged in.
    > It happens with newer kernels as well.
    > It is little bit annoying to reset machine just because i forgot
    > to switch off the printer which has card reader equipped ;)
    > some goofing with printks suggests ACPI as a place whenre it freezes.
    > But i got no proof for that.
    > Any suggestions are welcome.

    Could you both please test 2.6.22 (or 2.6.23, soon) and if the bug is still
    present, raise a report against acpi at bugzilla.kernel.org?

    We'd be particularly internested in knowing if any earlier 2.6 kernel
    worked OK and if so, which version(s).

    Thanks.

      Last update: 2007-09-15 11:55    [W:0.027 / U:30.548 seconds]