    SubjectWLAN drivers

    I'm trying to decide which wireless card to purchase, and I find it
    quite difficult to know which cards are support "out-of-the-box" with
    recent Linux kernels. I've found various lists of WLAN cards on
    websites, on which people report success stories, but I still think
    it's rather confusing.

    A year ago I bought a card (WG111), which was supposed to be supported
    by an open source driver, but in the end I still had to use ndiswrapper
    as there appeared to be two [*] different versions of that same product.
    One used the chipset which could be used with an open source driver, the
    other -ofcourse the version I bought- is not supported by any open
    source driver.

    So, basically, getting a product name or number doesn't seem to be
    enough to be sure to buy a card which will work with a unpatched Linux

    Furthermore, it appears the cards that are supported, are often
    supported by out-of-kernel drivers, which is a tad less convenient, and
    gives me some concerns on whether the driver will always be available
    for recent kernels.

    And, finally, it seems a lot of cards that get recommendations, are
    based on rather old chipsets, which are unlikely to be still sold today.

    And now the reason I'm sending this to this mailing list: Which wireless
    network cards are you all using and which ones would you recommend? Is
    anyone using USB wireless network cards (without using ndiswrapper)?

    With friendly regards,

    [*] At that time, now I think there's even three different versions,
    possibly using different chipsets.
      Last update: 2006-02-03 13:21    [W:0.025 / U:19.008 seconds]