Subjectctime set by truncate even if NOCMTIME requested
I am seeing requests to set ctime on truncate which does not make any
sense to me as I was testing with the flag that should have turned that
off. ie my inodes having S_NOCMTIME set, as NFS does.

do_truncate (line 206 of open.c) sets
newattrs.ia_valid = ATTR_SIZE | ATTR_CTIME
instead of
newattrs.ia_valid = ATTR_SIZE;
if(!IS_NOCMTIME(inode))
newattrs.ia_valid |= ATTR_CTIME;

I thought that the correct way to handle this for network filesystems,
is to let the server set the mtime and ctime unless the application
explicitly sets the attributes (in the case of the sys call truncate or
ftruncate the application is not explicitly setting the ctime/mtime as
it would on a backup/restore so they should be ignored for the network
fs so the server will set it correctl to its time, reducing traffic and
more accurately representing the time it got updated).

Shouldn't there be a IS_NOCMTIME check in the truncate path in fs/open.c?

  Last update: 2005-09-19 19:59    [W:0.537 / U:0.040 seconds]