    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up

    Hi Jens!

    Thanks for the sample code. I've trimmed the recipient list a bit...

    Jens Axboe wrote:

    > Perhaps the IDLE or IDLEIMMEDIATE commands imply a head parking, that
    > would make sense. As you say, you can hear a drive parking its head.
    > Here's a test case, it doesn't sound like it's parking the hard here.

    Not here either, but let me check, if I understand this correctly:

    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <unistd.h>
    > #include <fcntl.h>
    > #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    > #include <linux/hdreg.h>
    >
    > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    > {
    > char cmd[4] = { 0xe1, 0, 0, 0 };

    The "0xe1" in here is what is defined as "WIN_IDLEIMMEDIATE" in hdreg.h,
    correct?

    > int fd;
    >
    > if (argc < 2) {
    > printf("%s <dev>\n", argv[0]);
    > return 1;
    > }
    >
    > fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);

    Hmm, don't I need to actually have *write* access for sending an ioctl?

    > if (fd == -1) {
    > perror("open");
    > return 1;
    > }
    >
    > if (ioctl(fd, HDIO_DRIVE_CMD, cmd))
    > perror("ioctl");
    >
    > close(fd);
    > return 0;
    > }

    I will give it another try, after clarifying the above questions - maybe
    there is a command that will perform the desired task. If not, I guess
    we're back at snooping what the Windows driver does here...

    Bye,
    LenZ
    - --
    Lenz Grimmer <lenz@grimmer.com> -o)
    [ICQ: 160767607 | Jabber: LenZGr@jabber.org] /\\
    http://www.lenzg.org/ V_V

      Last update: 2005-07-04 15:41    [W:0.026 / U:184.264 seconds]