    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up
    On Mon, Jul 04 2005, Lenz Grimmer wrote:

    > Hi Jens!
    >
    > Thanks for the sample code. I've trimmed the recipient list a bit...
    >
    > Jens Axboe wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps the IDLE or IDLEIMMEDIATE commands imply a head parking, that
    > > would make sense. As you say, you can hear a drive parking its head.
    > > Here's a test case, it doesn't sound like it's parking the hard here.
    >
    > Not here either, but let me check, if I understand this correctly:
    >
    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > #include <unistd.h>
    > > #include <fcntl.h>
    > > #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    > > #include <linux/hdreg.h>
    > >
    > > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    > > {
    > > char cmd[4] = { 0xe1, 0, 0, 0 };
    >
    > The "0xe1" in here is what is defined as "WIN_IDLEIMMEDIATE" in hdreg.h,
    > correct?

    Correct.

    > > int fd;
    > >
    > > if (argc < 2) {
    > > printf("%s <dev>\n", argv[0]);
    > > return 1;
    > > }
    > >
    > > fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
    >
    > Hmm, don't I need to actually have *write* access for sending an ioctl?

    No, but you need CAP_SYS_RAWIO capability. So run it as root.

    > > if (fd == -1) {
    > > perror("open");
    > > return 1;
    > > }
    > >
    > > if (ioctl(fd, HDIO_DRIVE_CMD, cmd))
    > > perror("ioctl");
    > >
    > > close(fd);
    > > return 0;
    > > }
    >
    > I will give it another try, after clarifying the above questions - maybe
    > there is a command that will perform the desired task. If not, I guess
    > we're back at snooping what the Windows driver does here...

    I'm not aware of a generally specificed command, it's likely that the
    ibm drive has a vendor specific one. Or that one of the idle commands
    can be configured to park the drive. Or... I'm not sure you'll find
    anything interesting in the windows driver, I would imagine that the
    user app is the one issuing the ide command (like the linux equiv would
    as well).

    --
    Jens Axboe