    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))
    Hello,

    Just for the records....
    -----
    root@ecam:~$ ./headpark /dev/hda
    head not parked 4c
    -----

    HDD is a desktop Maxtor Diamond MaxPlus 9 120GB
    on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE Controller.

    Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
    to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?

    Are the commands different per HDD model / manufacturer?
    Then we might need some information to send the proper
    commands to the different types?!
    And if there is no headpark command, might it be valuable to send
    the HDD a shutdown instead?

    PS:
    I'm working on an embedded PowerPC (MPC8540) system which
    will be turned into a high-resolution portable camera in
    the future (with acceleration sensors for the right image
    orientation). Therefore it will likely be another candidate
    for a Drop'n'Park or Drop'n'Stop (tm) feature as are planning
    to put a 2.5" notebook HDD into the cam, too.

    Greets,

    Clemens Koller
    _______________________________
    R&D Imaging Devices
    Anagramm GmbH
    Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
    81379 Muenchen
    Germany

    http://www.anagramm.de
    Phone: +49-89-741518-50
    Fax: +49-89-741518-19

    Jens Axboe wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 04 2005, Jens Axboe wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, Jul 04 2005, Lenz Grimmer wrote:

    >>>Hi,

    >>>Fully agreed, and that's the approach the IBM Windows driver seems to
    >>>take - you just hear the disk park its head when the sensor kicks in
    >>>(you can hear it) - the disk does not spin down when this happens.
    >>>
    >>>Could this be some reserved ATA command that only works with certain#
    >>>drives?
    >>
    >>Perhaps the IDLE or IDLEIMMEDIATE commands imply a head parking, that
    >>would make sense. As you say, you can hear a drive parking its head.
    >>Here's a test case, it doesn't sound like it's parking the hard here.
    >

    > ATA7 defines a park maneuvre, I don't know how well supported it is yet
    > though. You can test with this little app, if it says 'head parked' it
    > works. If not, it has just idled the drive.
    >

    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <unistd.h>
    > #include <fcntl.h>
    > #include <string.h>
    > #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    > #include <linux/hdreg.h>
    >
    > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    > {
    > unsigned char buf[8];
    > int fd;
    >
    > if (argc < 2) {
    > printf("%s <dev>\n", argv[0]);
    > return 1;
    > }
    >
    > fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
    > if (fd == -1) {
    > perror("open");
    > return 1;
    > }
    >
    > memset(buf, 0, sizeof(buf));
    > buf[0] = 0xe1;
    > buf[1] = 0x44;
    > buf[3] = 0x4c;
    > buf[4] = 0x4e;
    > buf[5] = 0x55;
    >
    > if (ioctl(fd, HDIO_DRIVE_TASK, buf)) {
    > perror("ioctl");
    > return 1;
    > }
    >
    > if (buf[3] == 0xc4)
    > printf("head parked\n");
    > else
    > printf("head not parked %x\n", buf[3]);
    >
    > close(fd);
    > return 0;
    > }

      Last update: 2005-07-07 19:07    [W:0.036 / U:91.068 seconds]