    SubjectRE: ipw2100: firmware problem
    On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 15:00 -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
    > > > It thing of Mute in ALSA is stupid. If you want Sound, you
    > > install the Sound
    > > > and enable it. Why would it make you google for more things
    > > to do? ALSA mute
    > > > on install is WAY way, not OK.
    > >
    > > It took you 10 minutes of googling before you thought to try
    > > the mixer?
    > > Sorry dude, this is PEBKAC.
    > >
    > > Lee
    >
    > Riiiight. It could be. Or it could be that no where in the world I have seen
    > something where the device would be disabled by default without notifying
    > the user. Why would you Mute the driver? Is the driver that bad, that the
    > developers would rather Mute the sound card, just in case if the sound cards
    > starts making noises and shit when the driver is loaded?

    Userspace should handle it, doing this in the kernel is bloat.

    My Debian system initializes the mixer settings to a sane state just
    fine when the alsasound init script is run. Maybe you need a better
    distro.

    Users who compile ALSA from source are expected to know what they are
    doing. And, if you watch the "make install" output, it prints a big fat
    warning that all mixer controls are muted by default.

    > You are moving to another topic. Let's drop it.

    Agreed, but it was your OT rant that changed the topic...

    Lee

      Last update: 2005-06-10 23:11    [W:0.048 / U:30.208 seconds]