     --- "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> a écrit :

    > Maybe I don't understand? Is someone expecting distro
    > quality/stability from kernel.org kernels?
    > I don't, but maybe I'm one of those minorities.

    yes. Some people (like me) would like to use from time to time
    some _new_ stable kernel. It's annoying to see that sometimes
    kernel people say that you have a hardware problem in 2.6.0
    release and then the bug is silently fixed in a 2.6.5 release
    for example.

    The 2.6 kernel is not good enough for desktop -- sound skips on
    a 700Mhz duron when there is a lot (50M of 256) of free memory
    and mozilla is using CPU. 2.4 with preemptible patches was
    better in that respect.

    What i would like to really have is a stable version not a demo
    version. I like testing but sometimes i also want stability and
    it seems that a good enough 2.6 kernel is still away.
    I don't care how you call it 2.6.x.y.z-rc-kappa i just want to
    be sure that it will not mess up my system.
    (and no, i'm not going to use <insert your favourite distro>
    kernel )

    Just my 2 euro cents (if somebody cares)

    P.S. I know this message is late. Sorry if it annoys you.

    --
    A mouse is a device used to point at
    the xterm you want to type in.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.028 / U:0.496 seconds]