 --- "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> a écrit :

> Maybe I don't understand? Is someone expecting distro
> quality/stability from kernel.org kernels?
> I don't, but maybe I'm one of those minorities.

yes. Some people (like me) would like to use from time to time
some _new_ stable kernel. It's annoying to see that sometimes
kernel people say that you have a hardware problem in 2.6.0
release and then the bug is silently fixed in a 2.6.5 release
for example.

The 2.6 kernel is not good enough for desktop -- sound skips on
a 700Mhz duron when there is a lot (50M of 256) of free memory
and mozilla is using CPU. 2.4 with preemptible patches was
better in that respect.

What i would like to really have is a stable version not a demo
version. I like testing but sometimes i also want stability and
it seems that a good enough 2.6 kernel is still away.
I don't care how you call it 2.6.x.y.z-rc-kappa i just want to
be sure that it will not mess up my system.
(and no, i'm not going to use <insert your favourite distro>
kernel )

Just my 2 euro cents (if somebody cares)

P.S. I know this message is late. Sorry if it annoys you.

--
A mouse is a device used to point at
the xterm you want to type in.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:1.181 / U:0.156 seconds]