On Fri, Mar 04 2005, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> I run vanilla kernels on all my boxes, workstations and
> servers, since I don't really trust vendor kernels.

That's a strange statement, I don't think you are aware of
the level of testing that goes into a vendor kernel, at
least for the 'enterprise' products. There's just no comparison
to the vanilla kernels.

Of course fixes get merged back into the vanilla kernels, but
these just don't have the lengthy test and maturity period
of vendor kernels (by a long stretch).

In fact the 2.6 cycle is specially geared towards vendor
stabilization. At some point this will slow down of course,
but I don't expect that to happen in the near future.

--
Jens Axboe