SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc3-mm2
Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 22:41 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> [ the best solution is .... ]
>>
>> [ my preferred solution is ... ]
>>
>> [ it would be better if ... ]
>>
>> [ this is a kludge and it should be done instead like ... ]
>>
>>did nobody read what andrew wrote and what JOQ pointed out?
>>
>>after weeks of debating this, no other conceptual solution emerged
>>that did not have at least as many problems as the RT LSM module, and
>>all other proposed solutions were also more invasive of other aspects
>>of kernel design and operations than RT LSM is.
>>

> Sure, it is quick and easy. Suits some. At least I do prefer
> this to altering the semantics of realtime scheduling.
>
> I can't say much about it because I'm not putting my hand up to
> do anything. Just mentioning that rlimit would be better if not
> for the userspace side of the equation. I think most were already
> agreed on that point anyway though.

I think that the rlimits are a good idea in themselves but not as a
solution to this problem. I.e. having a RT CPU rate rlimit should not
be a sufficient (or necessary for that matter) condition to change
policy to SCHED_OTHER or SCHED_RR but could still be used to limit the
possibility of lock out. (But I guess even that is a violation of RT
semantics?)

Peter
PS Zaphod's per task hard/soft CPU rate caps (which are the equivalent
of an rlimit on CPU usage rate) are only enforced for SCHED_NORMAL tasks
and should not (therefore) effect RT semantics.
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce