    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > Such lists could tell us not only which devices work (are
    > > supported with open source drivers) but also which devices
    > > are not supported and hence may need attention.
    > >
    > > There has been some discussion about OSDL attempting to do this.
    > the biggest pitfal by having this done by a commercial entity or an
    > entity with commercial funding is that there is a LOT of pressure to
    > call things with binary drivers also certified/working.
    > It has to be an entity that can resist that pressure; if OSDL can,
    > great. But their funding is partially from sources that will try to put
    > that pressure on I suspect...
    > So I would almost rather have a separate "kicked off and supported by
    > OSDL" organisation with its own charter than have OSDL do it itself. I
    > can imagine OSDL feeling the same as well ...

    What about linux/Documentation/, which is maintained by us (as in `the
    community', not by `commercial entity that can be pressured')?

    At least for a `positive' lists it's not that difficult: if the driver is in
    the tree, just add the supported hardware to the list in linux/Documentation/.

    Whether we want to put a `negative' list there as well is another question.
    Perhaps some form of `to do' or `drivers wanted' list?

    -- Linus Torvalds

      Last update: 2005-12-07 20:55    [W:0.019 / U:3.940 seconds]