SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

> I'm a little less worried about OSDL advocating binary drivers.

fair enough; in my experience this kind of thing comes down to defining
a good enough charter/rulebook to begin with, and then just sticking to
that. The rules can just be public and part of the communication of what
the lists are etc. If OSDL can buy into a good set of rules I see no
problems with them doing it; I do hope that it can be "for no fee"
service. Or at worst, have an option for the manufacturer to put in a
link or two on the product page for a fee to cover the costs of the lot.

> *am* more worried about how the message goes out, how the information
> becomes visible to the right people, etc. I think OSDL can help there;

to be honest I liked the kernel.org idea... there probably can be other
means too, but a good decent website (eg nice categories, search option
etc) goes a really long way esp if it's 'official' like kernel.org is.

the hair part may be an option for users to add links to pages with
extra info for a certain piece of hardware, that needs manual review

  Last update: 2005-12-07 21:33    [W:0.436 / U:0.264 seconds]