    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On 12/7/05, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

    > > A moinmoin wiki.kernel.org should work fine and it takes 10 minutes to
    > > set it up. Let's use the community to build this list. Perhaps
    > > wiki.kernel.org could also be used to document some kernel stuff later
    > > on.
    >
    > the problem with this is that with wiki's you get a sliding scope wrt
    > criteria; I mean, many people will say nvidia graphics work great with
    > linux... and the wiki will represent that ;(

    Well, if the USB developers are already keeping a list of "known
    good/known bad" devices, and the IEEE 1394 people are maintaining such
    a list, and the ALSA people are maintaining a list, wouldn't it make
    sense to just have some sort of agregation method to present a
    centralized front end to the information? A distributed hardware
    matrix as it were?

    Seems wise, in order to avoid the problem that Arjan mentioned, to
    have developers closest to the drivers to be the primary maintainers
    of the info. Users are obviously going to be an important source of
    information, but having random users editing a wiki page with "works
    great for me," "doesn't work at all for me"-style comments appears
    less helpful than a matrix maintained w/ input from users (where input
    from users is primarily though the bug reporting process or something
    else a little more disciplined than unqualified affirmative or
    negative blurbs).

    Dave

      Last update: 2005-12-08 19:48    [W:4.083 / U:0.316 seconds]