    SubjectRe: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system
    "Alejandro Bonilla" <> writes:

    >> so there is no way to give me back the "lost" memory. Is it possible
    >> that another motherboard might help?
    > AFAIK, No. AMD and Intel will always do the same thing until we all move to
    > real IA64.

    IA64 inherits this part of the architecture from x86, so no magic fix.
    This is a fundamentally a chipset limitation, not an architectural bug.

    rev-E amd64 cpus from AMD all have memory hoisting support,
    as do all server chipsets from Intel for the last several years.

    To avoid this you just need a good chipset and a good BIOS implementation.
    Any recent server board should be fine. Hopefully the desktop boards
    will catch up soon.

      Last update: 2005-10-28 17:32    [W:0.022 / U:43.156 seconds]