    SubjectRe: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system
    Date
    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:05:33 -0400, Dave Jones wrote
    > On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 05:15:50PM -0400, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
    > > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:07:41 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote
    > > > Hi Alejandro,

    > tells me the > > > > maximum supported amount of RAM is 4 GB. So
    > there should be a way to > > > > address this amount memory. > > >
    > therefore supports > > > them. It is just not designed to give a
    > full 4GB of RAM to the system, it only > > > gives 3.4XGB RAM and
    > the rest is really not used, then basically the system > > > just
    > tries to give the 0.6xGB RAM remaining a task by it being used by "System

    > > > so there is no way to give me back the "lost" memory. Is it possible
    > > > that another motherboard might help?
    > >
    > > AFAIK, No. AMD and Intel will always do the same thing until we
    > all move to > real IA64.
    >
    > Somehow, I doubt AMD see it that way :-)
    >
    > Some boards at least have a BIOS option to support 'memory hoisting'
    > to map the 'lost' memory above the 4G address space.

    True, probably AMD added a "workaround" for this problem, but by nature, this
    is what happens.

    > I suspect a lot of the lower-end (and older) boards however don't
    > have this option, as they were not tested with 4GB.

    Probably no Intel boards have the option. So, it would be that Marcel contact
    Intel so they can add a mapping option on the BIOS for this situation. It is
    somehow missleading.

    .Alejandro

    > Dave

      Last update: 2005-10-28 00:16    [W:0.034 / U:29.200 seconds]