SubjectRe: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system
Date
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:29:34 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote
> "Alejandro Bonilla" <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> writes:
>
> >> so there is no way to give me back the "lost" memory. Is it possible
> >> that another motherboard might help?
> >
> > AFAIK, No. AMD and Intel will always do the same thing until we all move to
> > real IA64.
>
> IA64 inherits this part of the architecture from x86, so no magic
> fix. This is a fundamentally a chipset limitation, not an
> architectural bug.

Probably, but if they add a function to support this, then is a Fix, else it
would have been there all the time.

> rev-E amd64 cpus from AMD all have memory hoisting support,
> as do all server chipsets from Intel for the last several years.

Not according to the link I provided since we started the conversation. But
they have done tweaks to start "supporting" all this memory.

> To avoid this you just need a good chipset and a good BIOS implementation.
> Any recent server board should be fine. Hopefully the desktop boards
> will catch up soon.

I doubt it, Intel is slowly moving to 64bit so applications and OS can catch
up in the future to leave 32bit behind. (Probably)

Anyway, I think Marcel got most of he's doubt answered.

.Alejandro