    SubjectRe: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system
    Date
    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:29:34 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote
    > "Alejandro Bonilla" <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> writes:
    >
    > >> so there is no way to give me back the "lost" memory. Is it possible
    > >> that another motherboard might help?
    > >
    > > AFAIK, No. AMD and Intel will always do the same thing until we all move to
    > > real IA64.
    >
    > IA64 inherits this part of the architecture from x86, so no magic
    > fix. This is a fundamentally a chipset limitation, not an
    > architectural bug.

    Probably, but if they add a function to support this, then is a Fix, else it
    would have been there all the time.

    > rev-E amd64 cpus from AMD all have memory hoisting support,
    > as do all server chipsets from Intel for the last several years.

    Not according to the link I provided since we started the conversation. But
    they have done tweaks to start "supporting" all this memory.

    > To avoid this you just need a good chipset and a good BIOS implementation.
    > Any recent server board should be fine. Hopefully the desktop boards
    > will catch up soon.

    I doubt it, Intel is slowly moving to 64bit so applications and OS can catch
    up in the future to leave 32bit behind. (Probably)

    Anyway, I think Marcel got most of he's doubt answered.

    .Alejandro

    > Eric

      Last update: 2005-10-28 17:48    [W:0.024 / U:0.464 seconds]