SubjectRe: LVM2
Date
A logical volume in LVM will not handle more than 2TB. You can tie together
the LVs in a volume group, thus going over the 2TB limit. Choose your
filesystem well though, some have a 2TB limit too.

Disk size: What are you doing with it. 500GB disks are ATA (maybe SATA). ATA
is good for low end servers or near line storage, SATA can be used equally to
SCSI (I am going to suffer for this remark).

RAID5 in software works pretty good (survived a failed disk, and recovered
another failing raid in 1 month). Hardware is better since you don't have a
boot partition left which is usually just present on one disk (you can mirror
that yourself ofcourse).

Regards,

Norbert van Nobelen