SubjectRe: LVM2
Date
With using RAID5 you can choose yourself howmany hot standby/failover disks
you want to use. The number (or ratio) of disks used for failover of your
raid will determine the chance that you have when one disk fails and complete
failure of a raid.
It is still pretty safe just to have 7 active disks and 1 hot standby disk,
thus getting you 3500 Manufacturers GB (3.34TB)

About LVM on a RAID:
With hardware RAID it will work for sure.
With software RAID:
Make the RAID partitions and build your RAID.
On that RAID, set the partition type to LVM
And it should work
On LVM you can then use ext3 (your preferred fs)

--
small to medium business in The Netherlands and Belgium</a>