Subjectchanging local version requires full rebuild
Is it just me, or does changing the local version always require
a full kernel rebuild?

If so, I'd like to fix it, since I like copying
my kernel source with --preserve and changing the
local version, then going back to the old version in case of
a crash.
Its important to change the local version to force
make install and make modules_install to put things in a separate

Any ideas on why is that and whether its possible to fix it?