    SubjectRe: changing local version requires full rebuild
    On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:22:42PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
    > Hi!
    > Is it just me, or does changing the local version always require
    > a full kernel rebuild?
    > If so, I'd like to fix it, since I like copying
    > my kernel source with --preserve and changing the
    > local version, then going back to the old version in case of
    > a crash.
    > Its important to change the local version to force
    > make install and make modules_install to put things in a separate
    > directory.

    Just tried it out here.
    After cp -Ra only a limited part of the kernel rebuilds.
    o oiu.c in ieee directory - because it dependson the shell script
    o A number of drivers that include version.h
    - This should be changed so local version does not affect
    the reast of version.h.
    o Other stuff that is always build if kernel has changed

    Do you use "echo -mylocalver > localversion" to change the local version?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.019 / U:0.088 seconds]