SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices
On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 09:40:09PM +0200, Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:
> >For example, modprobe ide-cd will succeed even when no CD-ROMs are
> >present. The old script would break in this case, the new one wouldn't be
> >called at all.
> >

> You are wrong. Hardware driver must fail, when hardware is not
> present/not detected. Simple as that.

I'm sorry, but this is not how Linux device drivers work. It's been
this way for over 4 years, and hopefully we have fixed up almost all
drivers to be able to be loaded even if the hardware they are using
isn't currently present. Do you know of any we have missed?

thanks,

greg k-h

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans