SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices
On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:00:52PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> OK. The fact is that, when mounting the root filesystem, the kernel can
> (?) definitely say "there is no such device, and it's useless to wait
> for it--so I panic". Is it possible to duplicate this logic in the case
> with udev and modprobe? If so, it should be built into a common place
> (either the kernel or into modprobe), but not into all apps.

No, we need to just change the kernel to sit and spin for a while if the
root partition is not found. This is the main problem right now for
booting off of a USB device (or any other "slow" to discover device.)
It's a known kernel issue, and there are patches for 2.4 for this, but
no one has taken the time to update them for 2.6.

> Then the "char-major" aliases were always broken, do I understand
> correctly?

Yes, for most drivers they are broken. Like sound, usb, and others.

> Once we realize that, isn't it the time to mark the
> "Automatic kernel module loading" in the kernel configuration as BROKEN
> or OBSOLETE?

Fine with me, I've been wanting to do that for years. Are you willing
to handle the fallout of such a patch though? :)

> >With hotplug/udev you *know* that the device node is available when your
> >script in dev.d is called with the appropriate environment variables.
>
> Yes. Now we have a lot of short scriptlets under /etc/dev.d. But I don't
> yet see how these scriptlets interact with each other.

What do you mean? What kind of relationship do you need explained about
them?

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.114 / U:0.156 seconds]