    Hi!

    > > It buys me caching.
    >
    > I'll actually buy into that. If only because I consider caching to be one
    > of the more important things that the kernel does (caches are a _classic_
    > case of "shared data that needs synchronization").
    >
    > However, that said, user space can trivially cache things in the
    > filesystem, so while this may be a convenient feature, I think you should
    > look at perhaps doing it in the _shell_ instead..

    That cache should disappear as soon as I need disk
    space. I.e. userspace should never see -ENOSPC because of this kind of
    caching. This need some kernel support. Ouch and cached file should
    atomically go away as soon as main file changes, otherwise I do not
    see how multiple processes could cooperate on caching...

    chattr +kill-this-file-when-low-on-disk-space patch.bz2...ubz

    would solve first problem. Not sure how to do the second one.

    Pavel