SubjectRe: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x
  Hi again

Thanks for the hint on device_suspend (realy !! gives me a starting point
for debugging.

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

>>>What APM developers? There are none as far as I know.
>>

>> Hmmm ... So once again the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus :-) ?
>>
>> At least a
>>
>> grep '<.*@' /usr/src/linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/apm.c | sed 's/.*<//' |
>> sed 's/>.*//'
>>
>> gives me:
>>
>><snip>
>>Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de

>>chen@ctpa04.mit.edu
>></snip>
>>
>>This is pretty much for no one. And I guess you knew since you're on
>>the list yourself. But I think you're right when meaning
>>that there is not much of active maintenance anymore. Which at
>>least I find a little bit discouraging when looking of the state
>>of the ACPI support.
>

> Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. ACPI has ~5 people actively
> working on it, some of them probably full-time. That's a lot of
> manpower, compared to APM.

This becomes a little bit scary. Someone else on this list already
mentioned that there is a strong movement towards everything which
is at least a desktop/server machine. And on the other hand there are
these embedded systems which seem to be attractive for linux to.

ACPI seems to be nifty for such things like hardware monitoring and
stuff. That makes it interesting for servers etc...

Everything in the middle (aka laptops) seems to slowly drop out of the
loop. PCMCIA seems to be another ugly example. Anyway ... I'm not frightened
by this manpower. Just want to have my laptop running 2.6.x and suspending
to RAM. I'll do my very best and report back if there are any significant
findings.....

--
Dr. Sebastian Kloska