    SubjectRe: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x
    Hi!

    > >>I'm really willing to help the APM developers to track down this bug
    > >>but don't have a clue how to debug this kind stuff.
    > >

    > >What APM developers? There are none as far as I know.
    >

    > Hmmm ... So once again the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus :-) ?
    >
    > At least a
    >
    > grep '<.*@' /usr/src/linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/apm.c | sed 's/.*<//' |
    > sed 's/>.*//'
    >
    > gives me:
    >
    > <snip>
    > Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de
    > chen@ctpa04.mit.edu
    > </snip>
    >
    > This is pretty much for no one. And I guess you knew since you're on
    > the list yourself. But I think you're right when meaning
    > that there is not much of active maintenance anymore. Which at
    > least I find a little bit discouraging when looking of the state
    > of the ACPI support.

    Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. ACPI has ~5 people actively
    working on it, some of them probably full-time. That's a lot of
    manpower, compared to APM.

    And ACPI is in pretty good state, btw, unless you want
    suspend-to-RAM. Unfortunately you want suspend-to-RAM.

    > >Try removing calls to device_* in apm.c. Better yet become APM
    > >developer.
    >
    > It seems like I'm on my way to do so (still reluctantly). As I stated
    > in my previous mails I'm not born as a hardware/BIOS hacker (more the
    > application C++/Java stuff) but I'm willing to learn. When I'm
    > grown up I definitely want to be linux kernel hacker :-) ...
    >
    > Currently I ripped down the 2.6.6 kernel to almost nothing
    > and add one module after the other checking for proper
    > suspend/resume behavior....
    >
    > The most suspicious candidates on my list are currently the
    > USB-UHCI driver and the ALSA sound system, which is my #1 candidate
    > since it has not been an integral part of the 2.4.x (x<=20) kernels.
    >

    > So if anybody out there could give me guidance on how the apm code
    > might interact with the ALSA sound system it would be highly
    > appreciated....

    device_suspend() will propagate all the way to alsa.
    Pavel
    --
    934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc