SubjectRe: 2.6.0 NFS-server low to 0 performance
Date
Trond Myklebust wrote:

> No! People who have problems with the support for large rsize/wsize
> under UDP due to lost fragments can
>
> a) Reduce r/wsize themselves using mount
> b) Use TCP instead
>
> The correct solution to this problem is (b). I.e. we convert mount to
> use TCP as the default if it is available. That is consistent with what
> all other modern implementations do.
>
> Changing a hard maximum on the server in order to fit the lowest common
> denominator client is simply wrong.

So set the default buffer size to 8k if UDP is being used. Other than
getting people to believe 2.6 is broken, you buy nothing. People running
UDP are probably not cutting edge state of the art, let the default be
small and the client negotiate up if desired.

Why do so many Linux people have the idea that because a standard says
they CAN do something, it's fine to do it in a way which doesn't conform
to common practice. And Linux 2.4 practice should count even if you
pretend that Solaris, AIX, Windows and BSD don't count...

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc