    SubjectRe: C99 Initialisers
    Date
    On Tuesday 12 Aug 2003 12:27, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:38:27PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:39:36AM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > > > I don't think anyone would appreciate you converting that to:
    > > >
    > > > static struct pci_device_id tg3_pci_tbl[] __devinitdata = {
    > > > {
    > > > .vendor = PCI_VENDOR_ID_BROADCOM,
    > > > .device = PCI_DEVICE_ID_TIGON3_5700,
    > > > .subvendor = PCI_ANY_ID,
    > > > .subdevice = PCI_ANY_ID,
    > > > .class = 0,
    > > > .class_mask = 0,
    > > > .driver_data = 0,
    > > > },
    > >
    > > I sure would. Oh, you can drop the .class, .class_mask, and
    > > .driver_data lines, and then it even looks cleaner.
    > >
    > > I would love to see that kind of change made for pci drivers.
    >
    > I really strongly disagree. For a struct that's as well-known as
    > pci_device_id, the argument of making it clearer doesn't make sense.

    Which is OK for those very familiar with the code, but not so good for anyone
    else.

    > It's also not subject to change, unlike say file_operations, so the
    > argument of adding new elements without breaking anything is also not
    > relevant.

    Even if it is not subject to change, which can never be a total certainty, it
    will need to be applied in new code. The greater clarity provided by the
    C-99 format will make it easier to ensure the appropriate values are put into
    the right fields.

    > In tg3, the table definition is already 32 lines long with 2 lines per
    > device_id. In the scheme you favour so much, that becomes 92 lines, for
    > no real gain that I can see.

    Smaller source code is not everything. A consistant style is also very
    important.

    --
    Ian.