    SubjectRe: kernel nfsd
    On Tuesday March 18, wrote:

    > > > Hello Trond, hello all, can you explain what this means:
    > >
    > > > kernel: nfsd-fh: found a name that I didn't expect: <filename>
    > >
    > > > Should something be done against it, or is it simply
    > > > informative?
    > >
    > > The comment in the code just above the printk() reads
    > >
    > > /* Now that IS odd. I wonder what it means... */
    > >
    > > Looks like you and Neil (and possibly the ReiserFS team) might want to
    > > have a chat...
    > I'm all for it. Who has a glue? I have in fact tons of these messages, it's a
    > pretty large nfs server.

    When knfsd gets a request for a filehandle which refers to an object
    that isn't in the dcache, it needs to get it into the dcache. This
    involves finding it's name and splicing it in.

    It gets hold of an inode for the parent directory (don't worry how)
    and reads through that directory looking for a name with the right
    inode number. When it finds the name, it checks to see that the name
    isn't already in the dcache under that directory. As the object with
    that name isn't in the dcache you would expect the name not to be
    their either. This message indicates that the name was there.

    I think there is enough locking in place so that a race between one
    process adding the name and another process looking up the name for an
    object should not stumble over each other - both hold i_sem for the
    directory. So I don't think that would be the cause.

    Maybe this is reiserfs specific. Has anyone seen it on a non-reiserfs
    filesystem? Possibly reiserfs does something funny with inode numbers
    that is confusing the name lookup.

    If it doesn't seem to correlate with other symptoms, I probably
    wouldn't worry about it.

    2.5 does all this quite differently so shouldn't have the same problem
    (it certainly doesn't contain the same error message).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.022 / U:1.908 seconds]