SubjectRe: [BENCHMARK] ext3, reiser, jfs, xfs effect on contest
> compiling the kernel (or anything for that matter) isn't going to
> show any difference really because the CPU Mhz and L1/L2 cache
> are the bottleneck.
How about a test comprising of lots of mail being
sent/rejected/bounced/deferred/etc.
Usually SMTPs like postfix store lots of directories and files in there.
And thus create lots of reads/writes. We could measure the efficiency of
that.
I think it is possible to DoS a system by thrashing its i/o by forcing the
smtp to do lots of work. With very poor io efficiency that is.

Propably reiserfs would have better results with such a test, whereas
ext3 could have better results on a differents test. (different
application)

I think the 'best result' fs will vary on the test.
Also i think it is better to testdrive the file systems using real
applications on high load.

Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:1.878 / U:0.244 seconds]