    SubjectRe: v2.6 vs v3.0
    Jochen Friedrich <> writes:

    > Hi Andi,
    > > Actually current IPv6 is stable and has been for a long time, it's just not
    > > completely standards compliant (but still quite usable for a lot of people)
    > For end systems (no router) with static IPv6 definitions this seems to be
    > true. However, for machines which use autoconfiguration (stateless as
    > there isn't a usable IPv6 capable DHCP server AFAIK) or act as routers,
    > the current state of the implementation of the default route can best be
    > described as buggy. (Autoconfigured machines seem to loose their default
    > route after some time, e.g.).

    Are you sure this is not related to the routing daemon or rdisc daemon you
    use ? In the past when I had problems with lost default routes always such
    a daemon was to blame.

    > So IPv6 is returned by the resolver even though IPv6 isn't available in
    > the kernel. The default of the resolver options should be dependent
    > on the presence or absence of IPv6 in the currently running kernel IMHO.

    Sounds more like an glibc issue. I would file a glibc gnats bug on this,
    then it may even get fixed. The kernel has nothing to do with this at least.

    > Finally, IPv6 sockets which also communicate over IPv4 using mapped
    > addresses are considered bad nowadays ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.020 / U:20.884 seconds]