    SubjectRe: v2.6 vs v3.0
    On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 05:38:17PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 29 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Most of my boxes won't even run a 2.5 tree yet. I'm sure its hardly
    > > unique. Middle of November we may begin to find out how solid the core
    > > code actually is, as drivers get fixed up and also in the other
    > > direction as we eliminate numerous crashes caused by "fixed in 2.4" bugs
    > Well why don't they run with 2.5?
    > Alan, I think you are a pessimist painting a much bleaker picture of 2.5
    > than it deserves. Sure lots of drivers may be broken still, I would be
    > naive if I thought that this is all changed in time for oct 31. Most of
    > these will not be fixed until people actually _use_ 2.5 (or 3.0-pre, or
    > whatever it will be called), and that will not happen until Linus
    > actually releases a -rc or similar. And so the fsck what? Noone expects
    > 2.6-pre/3.0-pre to be perfect.

    Ok, after losing a disk in the early 2.5 series, and not being able to
    compile pretty much any kernel since 2.5.33, I decided to give 2.5.39 a
    try last weekend.

    Built kernel, rebooted, almost seems to get stuch during the ide-probing
    (10 seconds wait is a conservative estimate), but it came up in single
    user. Checking for errors in /proc/kmsg, nothing. Great reboot
    multiuser start X open a window lose all access to my keyboard. Completely
    log in remotely with ssh, hmm kernel errors about unknown scancodes.

    Reboot, just don't use X for the moment, maybe I can catch an oops,
    lockup during boot while loading the uhci usb driver. Alt-sysrq works,
    another fsck later (these seem to take a lot longer, but that could be
    subjective). Disable hotplug/usb during startup, reboot, within 2
    minutes orinoco_cs driver locks up and starts throwing debugging goo
    about transmit timeouts and resetting card. Nice, except for the fact
    that interrupts seem to be disabled and this time magic-sysrq doesn't

    Pull the battery out to be able to reboot the laptop, and went back to
    2.4.20-latest for now. 2.5.33 did work mostly (after fixing up a bunch
    of compile fixes and the oss cs4281 driver), but seems to last only
    about 1 hour on battery life vs. the solid 3 1/2 hours with a 2.4 kernel.
    All of this is on a Thinkpad X20, which doesn't have a serial console.

    Using APM, not ACPI. But this is not a bugreport, because I haven't even
    got a chance to isolate any single problem in a way that I can create a
    useful report.

    > I'm not worried.

    I am a bit worried, at least as far as Coda is concerned, there is a lot
    of unmerged stuff, and as long as I can't do any testing of the changes
    it is a bit useless to send them off to Linus. I hope things stabilize
    before the feature freeze.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.021 / U:11.800 seconds]