SubjectRe: [patch] PIIX rewrite patch, pre-final
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:48:10AM +0100, Daniela Engert wrote:

> >00..1f 586
> >20..2f 586a
> >30..3f 586b
> >40..46 586b 3040 silicon
> >Has a bug where the preq# til ddack# bit must be cleared or can cause
> >spontaneous reboots.
> >47..4f 586b 3041 silicon
>
> True. I leave this particular setup to the BIOS which is supposed to
> take care of such idiosyncrasies...

Unfortunately not all BIOSes do. I have at least two reported buggy
BIOSES which set the bit even on the 3040 silicon.

> >> 0x3109 VT8233c x x x x x x x - -
> >> 0x3147 VT8233a x x x x x x x x -
> >>
> >> known bugs:
> >> - all: no host side cable type detection.
> >
> >Not true, for the UDMA100 and UDMA133 capable ones, there are defined
> >bits in the UDMA_TIMING register. Not all BIOSes use those, though.
>
> Interesting. None of the user reports ever indicated that.

It's possible the BIOSes don't set the bits. My driver also checks if
the BIOS enabled UDMA >= 44MB/s on these chips, assuming 80 cable as
well.

Anyway, the docs state the bits should reflect the cable presence.

> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> 0x10DE Nvidia
> >> 0x01BC nForce x x x x x x x - -
> >>
> >> known bugs:
> >> - nForce: no host side cable type detection.
> >
> >Do you have any info on this one? I'd really like to have a Linux driver
> >for it ...
>
> I have no docs, but my father's machine has this chip built in :-) My
> driver is running it just fine. In fact, this is a clone of the ATA/100
> capable AMD IDE chip cell with all config register addresses shifted up
> by 0x10.

Thanks for this info. :) I think I'll add the support to my AMD driver.
Could you by any chance send me a PCI config space dump of the IDE
controller there?

> I'm looking forward to the new ATI chipset, let's bet where their IDE
> cell is licenced from :-)

I don't think it'll be Intel. I bet on VIA ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs