    SubjectVMS File versions (was RE: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing)
    Date

    >That is not my recollection. What I remember is that our system
    admistrator
    >set up people's accounts so that the default behaviour was as desired by
    >the individual. This has gotten me curious, so I went out to a storage
    container
    >and dug out an old VAX 4000/60 which hasn't run since about 1992. If it
    works,
    >I'll be able to answer with more than vague memories. At least for VMS
    5.1, which
    >is just a bit out of date as the current version is 7.3 or so. Now, if can
    just
    >remember the SYSTEM password. ;-)

    My recollection is that you could set the version limit on a directory, and
    this would propogate to all the files underneath, unless you explicitly
    changed it.

    >Perhaps others whose VMS experience is more recent than mine can answer
    this question.
    >More generally, if the infrastructure for keeping file versions around is
    going
    >to be generated for other reasons, having the option to have file versions
    could
    >be useful for some people. I certainly remember people who loved that
    feature,
    >but I wasn't one of them.

    I liked file versions when I was doing intense development, and it took a
    lot of concentration to keep it all straight. It confused the heck out of
    many people, and most sysadmins ran batch jobs to "purge" every night -- so
    you could only count on versions being available for a limited time.

    Is anyone working on version support for a Linux filesystem, as well as all
    the utilities that would need to change?

    Robb

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.027 / U:122.808 seconds]