    SubjectRe: fs corruption recovery?
    On Jan 08, 2002  21:52 -0500, Kervin Pierre wrote:
    > I install and used 2.4.17 for about a week before my filesystem
    > corrupted. I've tried 'fsck -a' but it complains that there was no
    > valid superblock found.

    Try "e2fsck -B 4096 -b 32768 <device>" instead.

    > Are there any tools or techniques that will recover data from the
    > corrupted filesystem even if there isn't a valid superblock? Or is
    > there a way to write a temporary superblock so I can access the
    > information on the disk?

    The ext2 format (includes ext3) has backup superblocks for just this reason.

    > Lastly, if all else fails I'm going to try sending the drive one of
    > those 'file recovery companies'. Does anyone have a recommendation for
    > a particular company? I'm guessing that there'll be a few that wouldn't
    > know what to do with a ext3 partition.

    Is the data really that valuable, and you don't have a backup? It may
    cost you several thousand dollars to do a recovery from such a company.
    Yet, it isn't worth doing backups, it appears.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.022 / U:4.256 seconds]